Separating the interbank market into exposures and funding structures helps to shed light on sources of contagion, shows research published by the Bank of England.
In the working paper, Mapping the UK interbank system, authors Sam Langfield, Zijun Liu and Tomohiro Ota construct these two parts of the network using data on interbank exposures from 2011 – the year a new regulatory dataset was launched. The set comprises nearly 10 million observations.
The researchers find the exposures network
- Demonetisation backer becomes new RBI governor
- Kohn ‘deeply’ worried Fed might not have support to fight next crisis
- Central banks turn to visual communication in 2018
- Indian governor resigns after conflict with government
- Book notes: Macroprudential policy and practice, edited by Paul Mizen, Margarita Rubio and Philip Turner