The UK's banking sector is often criticised for being dominated by just a handful of large banks, and today the country's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) revealed its intention to investigate the extent of the problem.
"The CMA continues to have concerns about the effectiveness of competition in these sectors," the UK government said in a statement. CMA chief executive Alex Chisholm described retail banking competition as "critically important".
In initial consultations, the CMA identifi
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations