The Bank of England (BoE) today named De La Rue, the world's largest commercial producer of banknotes, as the "preferred bidder" in its latest tender for banknote printing.
Should De La Rue win the contract, it will become the first company to print on polymer banknotes circulated in the UK. The new £5 and £10 notes – featuring the portraits of Winston Churchill and Jane Austen – are set to come into circulation in 2016 and 2017.
The BoE hired Innovia Security to supply the material for the note
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor