The National Bank of Denmark has issued a statement insisting that Bitcoins "are not money" as there is no issuer behind them, and that the virtual currency has "no actual utility value".
Bitcoins bear "closer resemblance to glass beads" than to gold or silver, the central bank said, as their entire worth is attributed to them by their users. They have no inherent value.
The Central Bank of Cyprus echoed this sentiment in its own announcement yesterday – stressing that virtual currencies have va
- Auditors find ‘flaws’ in ECB’s crisis management framework
- Home truths on Europe’s NPLs
- Central banks lack ‘firepower’ to combat financial crises, says report
- Economists need to better understand macrofinancial links – BIS paper
- Ukrainian bank owners carried out ‘co-ordinated fraud’, forensic audit says