The Central Bank of the United Arab Emirates (CBUAE) has announced it is to step up the quantities of small denomination coins that it mints, while the Central Bank of Ireland is initiating an effort to phase them out.
In a statement, the CBUAE said it has "decided to mint new quantities of currency coins of smaller denominations as their usage have increased specially after the introduction of paid parking."
The UAE has suffered from a coin shortage following the introduction of parking meters
- Irish deputy governor warns hard Brexit is ‘entirely plausible’
- New Russian banknote provokes anger in Ukraine
- Low-paid jobs may explain flat Phillips curve – research
- G7 governors and ministers set out principles for assessing cyber security
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase