Raising the European Central Bank's (ECB) inflation target for short-term gains would be "opportunistic" and harm the central bank's credibility, according to Peter Praet, a member of the ECB's executive board.
Speaking yesterday in Copenhagen, Praet did not entirely rule out such a move, although he said he was "very sceptical" of the proposal, which has received backing from academia, policy circles and markets. "A change to [the inflation target] range – and notably to its upper quantitative
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde