The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) today (June 12) published its final reforms to the system of allowing merchants to set surcharges for credit and debit card payments. The setting of levies will be limited as of January 2013.
"In recent years, concern has been expressed to the Bank that some merchants may be using surcharging as an additional means of generating revenue, rather than simply covering the costs of card acceptance," said the document.
The central bank explained that the use of so-
- BoE research says digital currency would ‘strengthen’ policy transmission
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- US House passes deregulation bill with bipartisan support
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- Brazil’s central bank launches fintech laboratory