The Central Bank of Ireland and the National Bank of Hungary have come up with novel ideas for ways to use the hoards of banknotes that are removed from circulation each year.
In Ireland, an artist called Frank Buckley has been given over a billion euros worth of old banknotes with which to create artwork.
Buckley started his collection of works using currency as a medium in 2009, and he has created 50 pieces since then. Buckley's website says he was "encouraged by the response the currency evok
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- All central banks may have to consider crypto-currencies – BIS