Calling him a "man of quality", French president Nicolas Sarkozy has backed Bank of Italy governor Mario Draghi to succeed Jean-Claude Trichet at the helm of the European Central Bank, according to the newswire Bloomberg.
This follows an April 15 interview with German deputy foreign minister Werner Hoyer, who manages European affairs, wherein he said Draghi would make a "very good" ECB president and would uphold Germany's goal of a stable euro.
"France will be very happy to support an Italian fo
- Auditors find ‘flaws’ in ECB’s crisis management framework
- Home truths on Europe’s NPLs
- Central banks lack ‘firepower’ to combat financial crises, says report
- Economists need to better understand macrofinancial links – BIS paper
- Ukrainian bank owners carried out ‘co-ordinated fraud’, forensic audit says