In identifying the events that left the global financial system teetering in autumn 2008, too little attention has been paid to the move to take Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac into conservatorship, says Kevin Warsh, who until last month was a governor at the Fed.
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the two government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) that acted as the backbone of the US mortgage industry, were taken into conservatorship on September 7, 2008.
And in one of his last interviews before leaving the F
- Irish deputy governor warns hard Brexit is ‘entirely plausible’
- New Russian banknote provokes anger in Ukraine
- Low-paid jobs may explain flat Phillips curve – research
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase
- G7 governors and ministers set out principles for assessing cyber security