The Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac), a US government-sponsored enterprise, on Monday reported a loss of just over $6 billion for the second quarter of this year.
Freddie Mac also requested a further $1.8 billion in assistance from the US Treasury. Together with the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae), Freddie Mac has received about $150 billion to date in assistance from the government.
The loss came against a background of persisting difficulty in the US hous
- Trump criticises Fed over rate rises and threatens higher tariffs
- Implementation of new Sofr rate is “ahead of schedule”, says Fed vice-chair
- Central bank digital currency a ‘terrible idea’, US Congress told
- MAS strengthens use of data to combat financial crimes
- RBA paper modifies DGSE to include housing sector