Bernstein, 62, will replace Bodil Nyboe Andersen on 1 November when she reaches 65 years of age.
Bernstein has held a string of top jobs in the Danish public sector and holds degrees in engineering and economics. He has been the top administrator at the prime minister's office since 1996.
Nyboe Andersen, the first woman to head the Danish central bank, Danmarks Nationalbank,
- Bank of Mexico admits $15.2 million went missing in cyber heist
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- Argentina rescue advances as emerging markets suffer outflows
- BoE research says digital currency would ‘strengthen’ policy transmission
- Artificial intelligence: The future of regulation?