"The process of a currency acquiring an international role is extremely slow. It takes decades," said ECB executive board member Tommaso Padoa-Schioppa, adding it was a burden the 12-nation common currency had never sought.
Addressing a conference titled 'The euro at five - a global role' about how to make the euro fit to serve alongside the doll
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- ‘Regulatory equivalence’ not enough for post-Brexit UK CCPs – Cœuré