Inflation rose for the sixth straight month in February to 9.4% from 8.8% in January. It has outpaced the 6% upper limit of the central bank's target range since April 2007.
Markets' expectations of a rate rise next month rose on the news, despite it being broadly in line with estimates.
Tito Mboweni, the governor of the South African Reserve Bank, told parliament
- Treasury committee to investigate BoE’s lack of diversity
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase
- Bank of Portugal sells majority share in ‘good bank’
- Fed’s Powell: banks still have important role in payments
- Xi sees renminbi taking greater role in global monetary system