Lula announced the name of the new central bank chief Thursday afternoon in Brasilia. Meirelles will replace respected president Arminio Fraga. His nomination needs to be approved by Congress.
Meirelles has accepted to the post of central bank chief, where he will be in charge of monetary and interest rate policy
- James Bullard on 2% rates, tariffs and Fed leadership
- Podcast: David Hendry and John Muellbauer on empirical macro
- Argentinian central bank takes drastic action over currency crisis
- Turkish central bank raises overnight rates in bid to stop lira’s fall
- Policies must change to stop emerging markets crisis, analysts say