"A liquid market for government bonds is a great advantage for the functioning of financial markets and for an efficient monetary policy," Swiss National Bank board member Thomas Jordan argued on Tuesday.
Yields on government debt contained important information about market expectations, Jordan said, while government paper also played an important role as collateral in a central bank's daily operating in money markets.
"The current situation of a lack of confidence in financial markets shows
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations