UK chancellor Gordon Brown appointed Timothy Besley and Andrew Sentance to the interest rate-setting group. However, Besley will not start until 1 September and Sentance will join the MPC on 1 October.
Besley is a professor at the London School of Economics, and Sentence is British Airways chief economist. Sentence is on the record as say
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor