The figures, which show declines for both September and the third quarter of the year, are another knock for government strategy to regenerate the economy.
The cabinet is widely expected to cut its overall growth forecast for the economy later this week.
The Bank of Japan has already downgraded its forecast, acknowledging the economy will shr
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- Malaysian central bank sends details of own land deal to anti-corruption body
- Strike halts Australian banknote production
- EBA and ECB hit out at capital hurdles to banking union
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls