Four of the five board members attending the meeting backed the cut, with the dissenter supporting a 50 basis-point loosening. Two of the seven board members were absent.
Analysts expected a 25 to 50 basis point cut.
However, the central bank noted that its latest forecast for economic growth was "markedly lower" than previously thought and that it now
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde