Mr Rato was expected to discuss Argentina's stop-start progress towards paying off its hefty debts.
He is scheduled to meet Argentine president Nestor Kirchner, as well as finance minister Roberto Lavagna.
It is the first time that Mr Rato, a former Spanish finance minister, has visited Argentina since being appointed IMF chief in May this year.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting