"Several EU countries are still faced with excess capacity in their banking systems that will have to be further reduced over time," Trichet told a savings banks congress.
"Likewise, cross-border consolidation might acceleration as merger and acquisitions pick up again following improved market c
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- Malaysian central bank sends details of own land deal to anti-corruption body
- Strike halts Australian banknote production
- EBA and ECB hit out at capital hurdles to banking union
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls