"The idea as I said is that by about 2016 there should be a SADC monetary union -- by definition a SADC common currency," Mboweni told reporters in reply to a question.
"What the currency is going to be I don't know -- that will be a subject of negotiation and discussion."
- Bank of Mexico admits $15.2 million went missing in cyber heist
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- Argentina rescue advances as emerging markets suffer outflows
- Artificial intelligence: The future of regulation?
- Norges Bank does not rule out launching digital currency