Finance Minister Michael Cullen said Mr Fletcher's "considerable business experience would be an asset to the board".
Mr Fletcher was a critic of former bank governor Don Brash's tight approach to monetary policy.
Dr Brash shocked politicians an
- EC’s Cyprus ‘failure’ undermined Eurozone central bank independence – Demetriades
- Reserve management practices are splintering
- Female regulators increase stability of the financial system, IMF paper finds
- Booming US economy set against ‘fragile’ markets – BIS review
- BIS paper defends credit gap measure