"He's always been something of a protege of (Governor) Ian Macfarlane," said one senior economist at an Australian bank who used to work at the RBA.
Stevens's main rivals are felt to be Ric Battellino, head of financial markets who is understood to have a good working relationship with Treasurer Costell
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde