The Belgian National Bank's Peter Praet is a candidate for the post but Germany has lent its support to Spain's little-known contender Manuel Gonzalez-Paramo.
Ireland's Michael Tutty is also a candidate for the post.
Reynders said: "The only criteria that should play is the competence of the
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde