German Chancellor Angela Merkel implicitly criticised fellow head of government Nicolas Sarkozy of France when she said at an event to celebrate 50th anniversary of the Bundesbank that her government will block any attempts to exert political influence on the European Central Bank (ECB).
"I will, on behalf of the whole German government, commit myself to its (ECB) independence and stop those which impose their political influence," Merkel said.
The last time that the French president threaten
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations