The figure defied most economists' expectation that the world's largest economy would contract by up to 1%.
As a result, a fresh cut of US interest rates - currently at 1.75% - is seen to be very unlikely. The US central bank, the Federal Reserve, is due to announce its rate decision at 1915 GMT Wednesday.
Wall Street analysts attributed the unexpected strength of the economy's performance to higher gover
- Latvian police detain central bank governor on corruption charges
- Ireland withdraws Lane’s nomination for ECB vice president
- Saudi Arabia’s Alkholifey on economic restructuring, reserves and cyber security
- Central banks mull securities lending as response to low yields
- ECB orders Latvia to shutter bank over laundering allegations