Liebscher said countries whose budget deficits had exceeded the 3 percent ceiling set down in the pact must restore fiscal discipline to maintain confidence in the euro zone.
Germany insisted on the terms of the Stability and Growth Pact before agreeing to dump the Deutschmark in favour of the euro. German officials said they were concerned
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- US House passes deregulation bill with bipartisan support
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- BoE research says digital currency would ‘strengthen’ policy transmission
- Brazil’s central bank launches fintech laboratory