Adams was formerly the Treasury department's chief of staff and served as a policy adviser to both the Bush 2000 and 2004 presidential campaigns.
The White House also said Arnold Havens had been designated acting deputy secretary of the Treasury.
Mr Adams, if confirmed by the Senate, will replace John Taylor as Treasury under-secretary for i
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde