The news represents the latest challenge by the European Commission against the Bank of Italy's embattled governor, Antonio Fazio.
Fazio is believed to have improperly protected two Italian banks from takeover bids by ABN Amro, the Dutch bank, and Spain's Banco Bilbao Viz
- Haldane: ‘superforecasters’ could help central banks
- Trump nominates former Fed economist for board role
- PBoC launches first phase of blockchain trade financing platform
- RBNZ looking to make balance sheet ‘more resilient’ – Perry
- Demetriades on political pressures on central banks and their governors