She will take over from Guo Shuqing, who became chairman of the China Construction Bank recently.
Guo replaced Zhang Enzhao, who resigned earlier this month.
Hu is the second woman among eight people to head the office since it was listed into China's cabinet in 1988. The first, Wu Xiaoling, served during 1998-2000.
- EC’s Cyprus ‘failure’ undermined Eurozone central bank independence – Demetriades
- Reserve management practices are splintering
- Female regulators increase stability of the financial system, IMF paper finds
- Booming US economy set against ‘fragile’ markets – BIS review
- Caputo quits as Argentina central bank chief