The majority of economists expected the rate hold after three rate hikes in a row, but a significant minority thought the central bank would raise rates to 6%.
Annual CPI inflation has risen to over 5% and, according to the central bank, is likely surpass estimates in the last monetary policy report over the coming months.
On Thursday, the central bank said: "The
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase
- Treasury committee to investigate BoE’s lack of diversity
- Fed’s Powell: banks still have important role in payments
- Bank of Portugal sells majority share in ‘good bank’
- Xi sees renminbi taking greater role in global monetary system