The majority of economists expected the rate hold after three rate hikes in a row, but a significant minority thought the central bank would raise rates to 6%.
Annual CPI inflation has risen to over 5% and, according to the central bank, is likely surpass estimates in the last monetary policy report over the coming months.
On Thursday, the central bank said: "The
- Is Donald Trump undermining the Fed’s independence?
- Regulation could stabilise crypto asset market, experts argue
- Reserves preservation key in Tunisia amid growing challenges – El Abassi
- People: San Fran Fed appoints head of research
- China’s exchange rate poses major challenge to fairer trade – US Treasury