Ministers voted in a secret ballot under "Qualified Majority Voting" (QMV) rules, whereby the large states have more votes. Hence, Spain's Gonzalez-Paramo won the day.
Of the 12 eurozone finance ministers, six voted for Paramo and six voted for Belgian National Bank director Peter Praet, in a vote which pitted the eurozone's large states against
- Trump criticises Fed over rate rises and threatens higher tariffs
- Banks tend to game stress tests, Fed economists say
- Implementation of new Sofr rate is “ahead of schedule”, says Fed vice-chair
- Central bank digital currency a ‘terrible idea’, US Congress told
- MAS strengthens use of data to combat financial crimes