"There will probably be some bank failures," Bernanke told US lawmakers on Thursday 28 February, pinpointing small, newer banks in areas where house prices have plummeted as those at most risk.
However, there were no "serious problems" at the bigger banks, whose failure could pose a systemic threat, the chairman said, adding that their
- World’s largest SWF bars investment in four companies for guideline breaches
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for gold a fool’s errand?
- ECB needed better data in 2008 crisis, says Lautenschläger
- Brazilian government must respect central bank independence – IMF
- Bank of Jamaica’s Wynter on the path to inflation targeting