The competition watchdog is to be given the power to impose heavy fines on the cheque, credit card and cash machine systems if they fail to foster innovation and open up to new members.
The Treasury will today set out plans for new legislation to regulate payments systems for the first time by putting the Office of Fair Trading in charge of the industry.
The move will surprise many in the in
- Central bank digital currency a ‘terrible idea’, US Congress told
- People: Olli Rehn enters office as Bank of Finland governor
- Trump criticises Fed over rate rises and threatens higher tariffs
- ECB’s easing policies reduced inequality, paper says
- Infrastructure financing not harmed by post-crisis reforms – FSB