The stock market also closed early after the government earlier in the day suspended banking by Banco Montevideo and Caja Obrera for "the nonfulfillment of regulations."
The amount of capital in many banks has fallen dramatically in recent weeks, as hundreds of millions of dollars have been taken out of the financial system.
Late Tuesday, Economy Mi
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for gold a fool’s errand?
- BoE minority staff score lower in first diversity survey
- EBA demands rapid reform at Maltese AML agency
- First left-wing Mexican president in a generation unlikely to upend institutions
- Vietnam says it is “actively prepared” to intervene in forex market