The IMF says Canada's recent macroeconomic performance has been "enviable" whereas its record up to about ten years ago was rather patchy. If you agree with this, what are the reasons for the improvement?
Yes performance was not great before the mid-1990s. There are three main reasons for the improvement. First, fiscal performance improved, which started in 1994. The Federal and provincial governments moved dramatically to clean up their balance sheets. The deficit which in the early 1990s was a
- Schoolgirl takes over management of Paraguay’s central bank
- European financial system is bigger and more concentrated, ECB says
- Treasury committee to investigate BoE’s lack of diversity
- UK’s FCA claims success after first year of ‘sandbox’
- CCPs say central bank access needed to avoid liquidity crisis