As someone who has supported Europe's long march to economic and monetary union, how do you rate its achievements in the six years since its introduction?
It has been a technical success. The ECB and authorities have successfully established a working currency and the euro is on its way to being the world's second reserve currency, which some of its advocates said was very important - though to me as a politician it always seemed a mixed blessing. One of the main arguments to me was that it woul
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase
- Treasury committee to investigate BoE’s lack of diversity
- Bank of Portugal sells majority share in ‘good bank’
- Fed’s Powell: banks still have important role in payments
- Xi sees renminbi taking greater role in global monetary system