Economists at Sveriges Riksbank unveiled the results of their work on a “web-scraping” project today (June 9), which they hope will contribute to more accurate forecasts.
The pilot project focused on methods of gathering price data on volatile components of the consumer prices index directly from the internet.
“Scraping” involves sending requests to a website’s server in much the way a standard internet browser does – however, instead of displaying the information, the scraping tool uses the c
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- Asset purchase programme is key to central bank credibility – ECB paper
- BoE’s Forbes points to bias among overworked MPC members
- UK payments regulator unveils competition reforms
- OCC warns on cyber risks from subpar patches at US banks