Dr Pohl headed the German central bank from 1980 to 1991.
AUB chairman Fahad Al Rajaan said his perspective, built through a long and brilliant career, further strengthens and deepens the board.
"His appointment is a reflection of our commitment to best international practices in managing businesses and corporate governance," he said.
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- BoE’s Forbes points to bias among overworked MPC members
- Asset purchase programme is key to central bank credibility – ECB paper
- UK payments regulator unveils competition reforms
- OCC warns on cyber risks from subpar patches at US banks