"The ECB's independence is sacrosanct. There can be no doubt about that," Steinbrueck told the business daily Handelsblatt.
Irish finance minister Brian Cowan also weighed into the debate Tuesday.
'Our position on the ECB is that it's independent, and it has a mandate and a job to do, and it is doing it very wel
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- BoE economists criticise DSGE inflation modelling
- Indonesian deputy Perry on revolutionising monetary and financial policy
- Commission should have power to order CCPs to relocate to EU – Cœuré
- Indonesian banks will switch to reserves averaging in July