CentralBanking.com (CB): What's your view of the pressure the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) is placing on the central bank?
Takatoshi Ito (TI): The finance minister [Naoto Kan] is expressing his wishes to fight deflation. He thinks that 1% or more should be agreed upon as a quasi target.
However, expressing it openly gives the impression that the government is putting pressure on the central bank.
It depends how you take it. The government would say that even in the United States sometimes the
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- Commission should have power to order CCPs to relocate to EU – Cœuré
- Asset purchase programme is key to central bank credibility – ECB paper
- BoE’s Haldane examines changing nature of work
- Indonesian banks will switch to reserves averaging in July