Mervyn King today hinted that English novelist Jane Austen will succeed Charles Darwin on the UK's £10 note, in an attempt to quell growing opposition to the Bank of England's decision to drop all female representation – aside from Queen Elizabeth II – from its banknotes.
The central bank's announcement that Winston Churchill will replace Elizabeth Fry on £5 notes as of 2016 triggered a legal challenge from one group of campaigners, while 46 female MPs and peers wrote to the Bank of England's co
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- All central banks may have to consider crypto-currencies – BIS