The Central Bank of Kenya maintains there is no coin shortage in the country, rather there is merely a "perceived shortage" that could be dispelled if the public were to stop stockpiling coins in their homes.
As a result the central bank and other stakeholders, including the Kenya Bankers Association, launched a national coin week on November 26 alongside a campaign to raise awareness of the importance of coins and to encourage their use.
At the launch, Njuguna Ndung'u, the Central Bank of Kenya
- Latvian police detain central bank governor on corruption charges
- Ireland withdraws Lane’s nomination for ECB vice president
- Saudi Arabia’s Alkholifey on economic restructuring, reserves and cyber security
- ECB orders Latvia to shutter bank over laundering allegations
- Central banks mull securities lending as response to low yields