Brussels on Wednesday welcomed a demonstration of political will behind the push for speedy agreement on tightening regulation of the sovereign credit default swap (CDS) markets.
Nicolas Sarkozy, the president of France, and Angela Merkel, Germany's chancellor, on Tuesday urged the European Commission to forge ahead in regulating CDS markets, in particular to consider an outright ban on naked short sales of the instruments. "Given recent market developments, we believe there is an urgent need fo
- James Bullard on 2% rates, tariffs and Fed leadership
- Turkish central bank raises overnight rates in bid to stop lira’s fall
- Podcast: David Hendry and John Muellbauer on empirical macro
- Policies must change to stop emerging markets crisis, analysts say
- Next financial crisis “will be brewing” in shadow banking – Bullard