The notes commemorate Liberal leader Jorge Eliecer Gaitan, who was assassinated in 1948.
Forgeries of the COP1,000 coins are common.
Central bank officials were not available to comment on whether the new bills are a response to this problem.
- Treasury committee to investigate BoE’s lack of diversity
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase
- Bank of Portugal sells majority share in ‘good bank’
- Fed’s Powell: banks still have important role in payments
- Xi sees renminbi taking greater role in global monetary system