The notes commemorate Liberal leader Jorge Eliecer Gaitan, who was assassinated in 1948.
Forgeries of the COP1,000 coins are common.
Central bank officials were not available to comment on whether the new bills are a response to this problem.
- Bank of Mexico admits $15.2 million went missing in cyber heist
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- Argentina rescue advances as emerging markets suffer outflows
- BoE research says digital currency would ‘strengthen’ policy transmission
- Artificial intelligence: The future of regulation?