In Madrid, people have a custom of gathering at the Plaza del Sol on 31 December to eat a grape on each strike of the bells at midnight: a symbolic act to ask for good luck in the new year. Spanish families outside Madrid mostly follow this widely broadcast event on television, eating the grapes at home.
This year, the Spanish government
- Central bank digital currency a ‘terrible idea’, US Congress told
- People: Olli Rehn enters office as Bank of Finland governor
- Podcast: David Vines on how to reform the DSGE model
- Infrastructure financing not harmed by post-crisis reforms – FSB
- Trump criticises Fed over rate rises and threatens higher tariffs