I shall structure this article around three themes. First, what have been, historically, the conditions for a proper functioning of a true international monetary system? Second, is it possible, in the world of today, to recreate such conditions? And third, absent a positive answer to this question, what can be done?
So, what have been the key elements of the functioning of the gold standard and, later, of the dollar exchange standard under Bretton Woods? The gold standard that stabilised exchang
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase
- Treasury committee to investigate BoE’s lack of diversity
- Bank of Portugal sells majority share in ‘good bank’
- Fed’s Powell: banks still have important role in payments
- Xi sees renminbi taking greater role in global monetary system