The Federal Reserve should appoint a “blue ribbon commission” to decide whether it is time to revise the central bank’s inflation target, a group of 22 economists suggest in a letter to Janet Yellen, Fed chair.
Sent on June 8, the letter – signed by individuals including Joseph Stiglitz, David Blanchflower and Narayana Kocherlakota – acknowledged that in the past the Fed’s 2% inflation target gave “ample leverage” for the central bank to raise interest rates.
However, the equilibrium interest
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- BoE’s Forbes points to bias among overworked MPC members
- Asset purchase programme is key to central bank credibility – ECB paper
- UK payments regulator unveils competition reforms
- OCC warns on cyber risks from subpar patches at US banks