The Bank's base rate is now down to 5% - with mortgage rates also set to nudge a step lower.
The cut is the fourth this year and follows pressure from Britain's manufacturers, who have been hit by a slowdown in the world economy.
It is also good news for homeowners who will see a reduction in their mortgage payments. It is not such good news for savers who will the returns on their money decline.
- Making the rules and breaking the mould (Allan Meltzer: 1928–2017)
- Asset purchase programme is key to central bank credibility – ECB paper
- BoE’s Forbes points to bias among overworked MPC members
- UK payments regulator unveils competition reforms
- OCC warns on cyber risks from subpar patches at US banks